Teaching science and languages abroad
Disciplines concerned: English, Greeks, Portuguese, Spanish, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Mechanics, Computer Science, Biology, Geology, Physical Education and sports.
Engage as a teacher-missionary and help your students improve their language and science skills. You will assist local teachers or take charge of a class yourself. Your goal will be to encourage students to enjoy science subjects and to express themselves well in English / Portuguese / Spanish.
You will work in a College, Scientific Institute or Language Study Center or University.
Start dates: January 2021
Minimum duration: 08 months to 24 months renewable
Work schedule: 20 hours per week
Hourly rate: £ 31.7 / hour (€ 35.6 / hour)
Conditions: Be 22 years of age or older and have a valid passport.
Location of missions
Angola, Mozambique, Cape Verde, United Kingdom and Canada
Main Duties And Responsibilities
Your tasks as a missionary
You will be involved in many tasks as a teacher abroad:
• Work as a teaching assistant alongside a qualified teacher
• Prepare practical lessons to arouse a taste for science in your learners.
• Prepare interactive lessons to improve pronunciation and oral expression of students in English / Portuguese or Spanish.
• Teach other subjects if possible
• Create educational materials (posters, question-answer cards, etc.)
– Master a scientific discipline
– Master one of the following languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish.
– Master the IT tool
– Have a minimum mastery of applied pedagogy
Typical day in this project
– You will have breakfast before going to work. You will usually start at 8 a.m. and finish around 2 p.m., Monday through Friday. You can also work in the afternoon, but it is not compulsory.
– In the early morning you will have time to prepare your lessons for the day while the children attend other lessons. You will start teaching from around 10 a.m.
– During the lunch break from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m., you can come home to eat.
– In the afternoon you can give extra lessons to children and teachers. You will also have the opportunity to maintain IT equipment, create databases or educational materials that can be used by other teachers and future volunteers.
– You will have free evenings and weekends to rest and discover your host country.
Food & accommodation
You will be accommodated in social housing already equipped for your well-being. You will be able to learn more about the local way of life and discuss your respective countries.