Help us shape case law to advance human rights across Europe.
LAWYER – Cyprus
Registry of the European Court of Human Rights
Renewable fixed-term contract
€58,416 to €74,640 (tax free) + Benefits
Location: Strasbourg, FRANCE
Are you an ambitious lawyer who is keen to gain experience in an international organisation working for human rights, democracy and the rule of law? Do you have the skills to help the European Court of Human Rights promote the interests of 820 million Europeans and protect against any violations? Then you can become a member of our influential legal team, focusing on cases and challenges in Cyprus.
Established in 1949 and bringing together 47 member countries, the Council of Europe employs 2000 passionate people to drive forward transformational change. At the heart of the Registry of the European Court of Human Rights, you will progress applications to a satisfactory conclusion, whilst maintaining close contact with national governments, third parties and the Court – giving you an extremely high profile.
Notably, you will prepare case files and legal analyses, brief Judge-rapporteurs and present cases at Court, as well as drafting judgments, minutes and notes that could help to generate legal precedents. Equally importantly, you will research both case law and Cypriot law, apprise the Senior Legal Adviser of developments and act as an ambassador for the Court, driving forward our key values of integrity and equality.
To be equal to the challenge, you will require:
- Membership of the Cyprus Bar, backed by a formal Cypriot legal qualification
- Sound professional experience as a lawyer, gained within the Cypriot judicial service or an international organisation
- Proven ability to draft legal texts in English or French
- Thorough knowledge of the Cypriot legal system and demonstrable ability to handle cases arising in other jurisdictions
- Highly developed analytical, planning and interpersonal skills
- Full fluency in Greek, backed by an excellent command of either English or French and knowledge of the other language
In return, you can expect an excellent tax-free salary and a comprehensive package of benefits, including a contributory pension plan, medical and personal insurance, family allowances where appropriate, and potentially reimbursement of relocation expenses.
APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE ONLY MADE:
- In English or French
- USING THE COUNCIL OF EUROPE ONLINE APPLICATION SYSTEM at https://www.coe-recruitment.com/JobDetails.aspx?vacancyID=1734&Lang=En
- Before the deadline of 15 OCTOBER 2020.